Cytotechnology Registry and Renewal
back to all Committees
Aims of the Committee
- Providing microscopic slides, visual images, and written test material for the International Academy of Cytology Comprehensive Cytotechnology and Cytopathology examination.
- Continuingly update the questions, the terminology and the translations for all segments of the examination
- Updating and maintaining the quality of the microscopic glass slides and visual images.
- Providing invigilators for the examinations and provide the invigilators with the examination materials and candidate information.
- This committee has the final word on any grading issues.
- Works directly with the International Cytopathology Examination Board and Education Committee
Chair: Donna Russel
Members: Ashish Chandra, Pamela Michelow, Esperanza Torres
Ex-officio: Massimo Bongiovanni and Fernando Schmitt
Donna Russell received her Master’s in Education from the University of Rochester Graduate School of Education and currently is the Education Coordinator of the Cytopathology Resident/Fellowship training program at the University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester, New York. She has been an employee at UR Medicine for over 30 years. She is also the program director of the Master’s level Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center/Daemen College School of Cytotechnology and is currently teaching her seventh class.
Dr Pamela Michelow
Sehr currently has a joint post at the University of the Witwatersrand and the National Health Laboratory Service (the South African public sector laboratory). She is past president of the South African Society for Clinical Cytology (SASCC) and participated as an expert committee member to advise the South African Department of Health on cervical screening policy from 2011-2016. She also served on the International Academy of Cytology general policy and long-term planning committee from 2001-2003 and again in 2008-2010.
Co-Chair Dr. Ashish Chandra, MIAC
Dr Ashish Chandra is the lead uropathologist and cytopathologist at Guy’s & St. Thomas’ Hospitals, London where he has been based since 2001. He is a member of the Cytopathology Specialist Advisory Committee at RCPath, is an active member of the British Association of Cytopathology (BAC) and Deputy editor of the journal, Cytopathology.
Dr. Esperanza Teuzaba Torres, MIAC
Dr. Esperanza Teuzaba Torres is the scientific director of Patolab laboratory, Clínica de la Mujer, Bogotá, where practices and training for cytology students take place. Also currently working in the Cervical Cancer Agreement Group, developing guidelines, outlines, and efforts to reduce the incidence and mortality of cervical cancer in Colombia. She also collaborates, as a member of SLAC, with the development and improvement of Cytology in Latin America, with continuing education.